Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hokkaido 2014 | Day 1

(This has been sitting in my Drafts for months, think it's time to get it published! Oh and I apologise for the bad photos, didn't adjust the wide lens properly therefore you will see tons of blur sides haha, and I did not exactly bother to edit most of the shots.)

Think I dragged long enough for my travelogues, and today I am in the mood to do at least one of them haha. Better rush them out before I head off to another country!


Gonna start on my most recent trip to Japan, Hokkaido!!!!!!!! Giving this priority because I take great pride in my work HAHAHA. Really wanted this trip to happen because it will be the last time I will travel with my folks and my aunt before I continue my studies. (Side note: my aunt became part of our travel clan because she was like my other half hahaha ever since I was 12 years old) 

It was quite a dilemma for my Mom because it was between going to Japan for a leisure family holiday or accompanying me to UK to help settle me down. I was 100% against the idea of coming along with me because I don't deem that as a holiday? They will probably be crazy stressed (even more than me I believe) with all the admin and boring stuff. Isn't it such a waste to spend thousands on a country if you aren't going to immerse yourself into it? 

So after much convincing, we booked our flights to Hokkaido yaaaaaaaaay! 

In case you ever want to know the planning process, here's a quick link to my previous post: Hokkaido Pre-Departure

Day 1 | Otaru 

We arrived at New Chitose Airport and took a 2-hour ride train to Otaru. Trains running to the different cities in Hokkaido are bigger and more comfortable, as compared to trains travelling within the vicinity. Here's some quick general knowledge - Otaru was a fishing village so the train ride towards this small town was breathtaking. We witnessed the transition from buildings to the blue sea, and it was very calming. I was hoping that the rest of my train rides around Hokkaido will be as beautiful as this but that didn't happen.


At least I had the chance to experience and feel that moment. It's so beautiful you don't even want to capture it, ja feelin' whud ayam feelin'? 

Took a 15 minutes walk down to our hotel - Hotel Vibrant Otaru. The structure had some Western influence to it, reception staff were very helpful and friendly even though they couldn't really speak English. The room was very basic and small but very clean - 1 double decker bed and a small toilet that could barely fit 2 people at the same time haha. But it was cosy and sufficient for us so no complains!


There weren't a lot of attractions to comb in Otaru but we only had slightly less than a day to explore this town, therefore we didn't manage to visit all that was planned in the itinerary. That's also because less than 2 hours in Hokkaido my dad brilliantly lost his train pass (which we paid SGD $282 for one btw) and he freaked. I mean if it was me I would freaked too because did I just bloody spend $282 on a one way ride to Otaru?!? And we can only purchase the train pass at the next city, which is 5 hours away ha ha ha. Thankfully, Lady Luck was smiling on my dad (and mom because she won't be spending any more money) and he found it on the pavement opposite to ours. 

How. Lucky. Is. That. 

Apparently the wind blew the stupid pass out of my dad's jacket pocket. He was so happy he shouted Hallelujah from across the road hahahaha.

While my Dad and Aunt were busy finding the ticket, Mama and I were slightly more awed by this on the sidewalk HAHA.


We were also delayed because we couldn't find the Otaru Canal. Eventually we did, and even though there were tourists around us we didn't feel stuffed or anything. It was a good feeling with a good view, with acoustic music playing in the background while we strolled along the canal.


Left the canal for Sakaimaichi Street for lunch and also to visit the Music Box Museum. That was where we had the most amazing and affordable tonkatsu set meals, and tried the tallest 7-flavoured ice cream in our entire lives hahaha.






The upsetting thing about Hokkaido in general is that their shops and attractions stop operating really early. By early I mean like 6 - 7 in the evening kind of early. So we didn't have time to visit Otaru City Museum because they closed at 5 or 6pm. Headed back to the hotel to take a quick nap before heading out to Sushi Street for dinner! 

Yeah. "Sushi Street" sounds pretty damn good huh. When I was researching on it, my imagination brought me to restaurants after restaurants serving authentic sushi, with tons of people looking for a place to dine in, and orange lights and navy blue curtains swaying with the wind. 

But naaaaaaaah hahaha. Yeah there were restaurants but most of them were closed. No crowd, they only people patronising the street were the 4 of us. Dark and cold. The locals said shops close even earlier during then because it wasn't the tourist season, therefore they had no reason to open either. What shiok life are the locals living man.


"Aiya today nobody one la, don't work today then!" Must be nice. Don't quote me though, I'm just assuming haha. 

Any case, we settled for some sushi set at a restaurant that required us to sit on the floor. We wiped out everything, can't tell if it was because we were really hungry or if the food was very good.



Day 2 | Otaru > Hakodate 

We left Otaru at 5 in the morning to catch the early train to Hakodate. The only reason why we did this was because the damn ride was 5 hours long. But it didn't feel like 5am at all because the sun was shining the shit out of itself already. 

Visited the Red Bricks Warehouse, where you can find tons of souvenirs, a chapel, a beer hall and a cruise bay. That's where my mom thought she tried the best cheesecake ever.








Went into a random ramen stall and it was by far the best ramen we had throughout our trip in Hokkaido. Every town has their own broth speciality - Asahikawa known for their soya-based broth , Hakodate's salt-based and Sapporo has got to be miso-based. I guess salt-based ramen are more to our liking? Its look doesn't blow your mind but damn, the taste will.

The owner also gave us free ice cream hehehehehehe.



Took the tram to Fort Goryokaku, a star-shaped citadel that houses lots of greenery, dandelions, a shrine, some mascots, large spaces and an observatory tower. 

It was so gorgeous.






Hokkaido has so many transport services sometimes it gets really confusing. They have the rail trains, then there is the trams and another one called streetcars. Almost board the wrong train to the Fort and we had to ruuuuun for 10 mins to go the right station, that's located right in the middle of the road -_-

Oh, and they don't use cards to travel like how we do in Sg. Instead, they pay by coins or they get tickets like the ones below.




The last pit stop was Mt. Hakodate, where you could watch the sunset and how the entire city lights up. I honestly thought there weren't a lot of people in Hokkaido because almost everywhere we walked to, the number of people around us are the number of people you see in like... maybe Punggol. But I guess everyone was parked at Mt. Hakodate lol it was so freaking packed I couldn't move. 

It was a nice view! But I expected it to be nicer. Well, expectation kills haha. Oh and we also saw this large ass crow snatching a girl's bread out of her hands so swiftly. Scary.


It was Hotel Kikuya for that night and it was the worst hotel we stayed while we were in Hokkaido. Never mind that it was small, it was a little dusty as well? And because we opted for a ryokan-style kind of setting, it was so crammmmmmmmmmed. 

I didn't have a lot of issues with it la but my parents did hahaha.



Day 3 | Hakodate > Noboribetsu 

This day got me so worried while I was planning. I guess Noboribetsu is one of the lesser frequented cities in Hokkaido as compared to the rest? It was such a hassle to plan the transportation means and routes around this onsen town. But I am really happy I went ahead with it anyway because even though this town is so small and quiet, it holds so much nature and beauty in it. I will follow up on that later. 

Before heading to Noboribetsu, we woke up crazy early because we wanted to visit their morning market. You have to visit a morning market while you are at Japan, doesn't matter which part you are at because there is bound to be one in your city. But we went there too early :-( Though the market opens at 5am, shops officially start business at 7 to 8am. So we walked around and tried their melon which is by the way, so darn sweet and juicy and just watch the fishermen load in and arrange the boxes of fresh crabs and fish.


On a side note, this is one bloody good croquette I got from a random convenience store. SEDAP MAXIMUM. 


Took the train (as usual) to Noboribetsu before switching to a bus that will bring us to the bus terminal of our onsen. Yay to sea view once again! 


The onsen was amaaaaAaaAaAaAAaaaazing. In terms of decor, space, service and food, they were really the best. Well, of course we spent a lot on accommodation there but it was so worth it! Going into a hot spring with a cold weather is really sedap.





While at Noboribetsu, we travelled out a little and visited Lake Toya and Mt. Showa Shinza via the Usuzan Ropeway. It was such a hassle to take the bus and shit to this place so I succumbed to convenience and signed up for a taxi package - which was really value for money, to be honest. We saved so much time because of that. 






After this picture was taken, a siren was activated and there was an announcement from a staff that instructed us to come down from the wooden railing immediately HAHAHA. 




Anyhow, I really like Lake Toya. All that headache and shit was tremendously compensated once I was up. The view was perfect, the weather was perfect, the lack of crowd was also perfect. That's where I tried the matcha and milk ice cream and that's my number 1 ice cream flavour during then.



Had some bbq/grill thing for dinner near our onsen town. They definitely are very generous with their portion hahaha.


The next day, we woke up to a King's meal. No kidding. We were pleasantly surprised man and it was really good.



Trekked along Jigokudani and I was determine to find that hot spring lake, where you can soak your legs in after a long trekking session. There was this point of time we took the wrong route and we realised a little too late that we were trekking along the edges of the mountain. The route was getting steeper and dangerous because there weren't any steps anymore - just different elevations of soiled ground. There were also mini goddess figurines on our sides as we walked. It was a very uneasy and uncomfortable feeling. We didn't stop though, till we were faced with a mini goddess figurine right smacked in front of our feets. Then okay lor no choice need to U-turn. 

Thank goodness we did. Who knows where that route will bring us to. 真的要谢天谢地。






After a long while, we finally reached the hot spring lake!!! Gorgeous view man.





Okay that's all for Part I! Bed time is in 30 mins so here's a picture of my fav aunt before we head to Asahikawa and will you look at that round face of mine literally ROUND simidaiji... 


Catch ya l8r buddies x. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Joyce :) I was doing some research on Hokkaido and I happened to come across your blog with some details about your travel plans there last year. I'm planning to travel there next month and I have some questions to ask. And if you still have your itinerary and you don't mind, could you send me your detailed itinerary through email? Your help would be greatly appreciated. My email is tansixing95@hotmail.com and you can contact me through there. Much thanks in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete