Monday, August 18, 2014

Thoughts

Was re-watching the introductory video of the University of Surrey and it suddenly hit me that the amount of detailed work, planning and efforts contributed just to make such a short yet rather impactful video... I can barely imagine.

Brings me back to the time where I was still interning at Chameleon Events, and we had to do a short video trailer and MTV for this big client. Reminded me of how freaking anal they were, especially when it comes to deciding what should/shouldn't be taken, what needs to be (greatly) emphasised, the kind of image it is supposed to project and the message it is supposed to convey. I wonder how bad it was for the video production guys who did the trailer for Surrey, or if Surrey was actually a nice client afterall. 

People don't see, or more specifically, don't understand and empathise the amount of hard work and patience put behind a simple 30-second video. They don't see what's beneath the big picture; the product. Only the ones who have been through it will truly appreciate the simple yet essential edits, the carefully-thought out angles and what was chosen for the shoot. No one is at fault though, really. I mean such things can't be helped, that's how human nature simply is - one will never fully understand unless they have been through similar or the same thing(s). 

I know I've gained a lot of exposure and experience from Chameleon Events, I'm glad everything happened the way it did. 

I will never be able to look at short videos the same way as I did 1 year ago. So really, kudos to all the video production crew out there, your hard work and passion is often unrecognised the way it should have been. 

2 comments: